Dearest Bold Soul,
I hope this finds you happily ensconced with a good book, a cool or useful list, a cat/dog/bird/guinea pig/ferret/other pet, an engaging creative pursuit or one on one conversation. I am enjoying writing, editing and finding the links to make this post!
Helloooooooo and welcome, if you’ve come here from Witty Title Here’s blog post about introversion, I found Cassie (helloooo!) via this post on Yes and Yes, where we are both in a sponsors introductory post. Thanks, Sarah, for having me :)
Let’s talk about how we operate. Me? Largely an introvert, but not entirely. Introversion is not about how or how much you engage, but about how you recharge. I thought the topic was well suitable for a Live Bold List. Read on:
Live Bold List 34: I heart personal space
“Just because I’m an introvert doesn’t mean…”
- Just because I’m an introvert doesn’t mean I’m a misanthropist (ie. don’t like people). I was most relieved to read about introversion, do the online quiz, and realise I’m an introvert and I do, in fact, like people – usually one at a time or in very small groups!
- Just because I’m an introvert doesn’t mean I don’t like to connect [I’m fascinated by what motivates you, your specific interests and talents and situation]
- Just because I’m an introvert doesn’t mean I’m not clued in to the conversation. I try to give myself time to think things through before I comment aloud. The internet suits me pretty well (you, too?) with built in cogitating time between reading and response!
- Just because I’m an introvert doesn’t mean I don’t like extroverts. [I do. Not for toooo long though, darl, I can’t maintain that kind of energy!]
- Just because I’m an introvert doesn’t mean I agree with you. I am quite happy for you to have your opinion, because I am comfortable with my point of view. I don’t need to argue, or place one of us as right and one wrong. If I get the chance I might ask questions to try to understand your point of view (see #2). This still doesn’t mean I agree with you!
- Just because I’m an introvert doesn’t mean I don’t want to be friends. It might take a great deal of patience on your part, allowing time to get to trust you, get our conversational rhythm established over time. I take a very long time to make good friends.
- Just because I’m an introvert doesn’t mean I need to be fixed. Please. Not going there.
Introversion, for me, does mean:
I recharge my energy best by doing alone or one-on-one things: chatting to one person (those individuals probably would have a hard time imagining me an introvert), reading, making things, painting, playing a game (oh dear, the hours I’ve spend on Plants vs. Zombies!), writing, walking, gardening, tinkering with my website, etc.
You might like this really great article on introversion. I particularly like the author’s #6 which includes the statement “They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.”
On Extroverts – who may confuse us a little, but we don’t hate them
It seems a lot of content online is for us introverts. Here’s a compassionate Care and Keeping of your Extrovert type post, with some great information especially including how to understand extroverts different way of relating. With guidance both ‘verts can find it easier to fathom each others ways :)
And this is also true:
So I was all ready to post this, but I delayed it – something wasn’t feeling right. After writing all of the above I realised I’m not actually 100% introverted – it’s a spectrum, and I’m somewhere on it! I like trying new things, meeting new people. As mentioned above, it’s about how you recharge your personal energy. Remembering this for oneself is quite a lovely act of self kindness, and one that makes a big difference.
Thanks Cassie from Witty Title Here Introverts Unite for the post, the comments section of which happens to be a *brilliant* place for introverts to network! She and Hanna, Exelsior Lady, made the cool badges at the top and in my sidebar – thank you! A pretty, helpful action towards understanding each others ways of recharging!
You are super welcome to comment below! I’d love to hear from you… in your own time :)
Here’s to humans of every ‘vert living bold, happy and cooperative lives.
Love Meg x o