Hello, you wonderful soul!
Does vivid, surprising colour spark a joy in you that words don’t go anywhere near?
You’ve come to the right place :) Welcome, kindred spirit!
I believe that each nourished soul brings a little sanity back into the world. My work is about making that happen with colourful, joyous art.
I believe the world is crying out for people who are in touch with their joy, their sanity, their individuality.
Those uplifted parts of ourselves are very real and present, yet sometimes seem to need a prompt.
Like a warm hug, the smell of jasmine or dancing freely to music that moves you, do you feel – as I do – that vibrant colour is a sure sign that life is good and joyful?
My artwork offers a way to give a wide berth to the generic and set your enthusiasm free!
My first and forever significant teacher was Ruth Tuck, a knowing old lady in a floral dress. Then in her 60s, she was only a little taller than I was at 7.
Imagine Ruth showing me and the other enraptured children how to magically make a picture – right before our young eyes. She’d start with a sheet of (very good) white paper and chatted all the while about colour and famous artists as though she knew them personally – some she did!
Ruth shaped my sensibility early in my life – so much so that it’s not always easy to put into words – and she thoroughly instilled and intrigued me with the possibilities of art and especially colour!
Ruth’s art lessons were drenched in an implicit approval of us as both children and artists, and punctuated with her wonderful irreverent laughter.
I learned from and taught for Ruth Tuck for many years. I’ve also studied Graphic Design – twice! – and other things, both in person and using the wondrous internet.
Between the age of 7 and now I’ve lived through my fair share of experiences, the long-winded details of which I won’t recount here – you’ll hear them crop up from time to time in my blog! Suffice to say that the bumper sticker statements “Shit Happens” and “Miracles Happen” both ring equally true to me!
You won’t find here:
- limited or muted colour pallettes
- sweeping landscape vistas
- sad art to make you glum
You will find:
- human scale art for kitchens, offices, halls, bedrooms and altars
- an abundance of nasturtiums and other perfectly common garden flowers
- colour that resonates and domesticity vivified
- accessible, multi-coloured muses
- Essence of Happy Place, and
- a generous handful of very sweet feline interlopers :)
Other things I do besides painting:
- Attach hooks or pictures, or both, to a wall
- Go op shopping [aka. thrift shopping US readers] – I like a good vintage tupperware container or a striped cotton something, while supporting charities! Win-win!
- Here are some of the movies that I continue to watch if I come across them while channel-hopping: The Sapphires, Little Miss Sunshine, The Beautiful Fantastic (indeed I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen the beginning of it!), Guardians of the Galaxy…
- Read a library book while my black cat sits and purrs on my lap
- Write out a brain dump – possibly in list form! – to get some clarity for the day
- Listen to comedians’ and other podcasts while out for a constitutional, or
- Throw up my hands in dismay at a culture of building that seems oblivious to the benefits of passive solar architecture – for the love of our planet will someone please tell house designers to face the living areas North? (in the Southern Hemisphere)
- Try to make a difference with my other ‘beefs’ – you’ll see them in my blog on occasion!
- Looking forward to getting back into some gardening soon :)
See you around the art classroom, an exhibition, facebook, or on my eNewsletter or here on my website? Yey!
Much love, Meg x o
PS Click here, to hear what other bold souls in our tribe say about my art.
PS2 Come on this delightful and curious adventure with me? Sign up for Studio eLetters direct to your inbox each month, here: